What are two benefits of staying away from alcohol?
Abstaining from alcohol can lead to several mental health benefits, including improved focus, energy, memory and sleep. It can also reduce your risk for heart problems, liver problems and several types of cancer. Excessive drinking does a lot of long-term damage to the body.
How can you stick to a decision not to drink?
How can you stick to a decision not to drink? You can stick by your decision by preparing for pressure and being clear about your decision.
What are some refusal skills for alcohol?
Statements to use in refusing alcohol:
- “I have more positive things in to do in my life.”
- “I don’t need to drink; being sober is a great high.”
- “I would rather hang out at the rec center or student center.”
- Say, “No thanks, I don’t need it.”
- “Sorry, my friends and I have chosen not to drink.”
- “Sorry, I don’t drink.”
How do you practice refusal skills?
Here ‘s how to practice refusal skills:
- Give a reason for saying “No.” Be honest. …
- Use the right body language. Your body language has to match your words. …
- Show your concern for others. Express your concern for those trying to persuade you. …
- Suggest something else. …
- Take action.
Why is quitting alcohol so hard?
As the alcohol wears off, the brain has to stabilize again and produces cravings for more alcohol, which might be one of the reasons behind the struggle to stop during a night of drinking. Over time, these circuits can become ingrained, making cravings more difficult — or impossible — to resist.
Why should you not drive your car when you drink?
Having too much to drink also slows your reaction time and makes it difficult for your brain to process information. When all of these factors come into play, it makes for one dangerous and distracted driver. When you aren’t able to pay attention to the cars around you, you’re more likely to get into a car accident.
5 Tips To Avoid Drinking In Social Situations
- Take A Wingman. Bring a sober friend or date with you. …
- Keep Your Hands Full. Always have a non-alcoholic drink in your hand. …
- Let Key People Know. …
- Have An Escape Plan. …
- Be At The Top Of Your Game.
What are two effective refusal strategies for avoiding the use of alcohol?
Try other strategies
Have non-alcoholic drinks always in hand if you’re quitting. Keep track of every drink if you’re cutting back so you stay within your limits. Ask for support from others to cope with temptation. Plan an escape if the temptation gets too great.
What are 5 refusal strategies?
What are 5 refusal strategies to help you reinforce your decision to say no? Say no in a firm voice, explain, suggest alternatives, use appropriate body languages, and leave if necessary.
What are the three refusal skills?
Terms in this set (3)
- step 1 state your process. the first step in resisting negative peer pressure is saying no. …
- step 2 suggest alternatives. If a peer asks you to take part in an activity that you are uncomfortable with, try suggesting another activity. …
- step 3 stand your ground.
What is a good example of an effective refusal skill?
One of the most effective refusal skills is just too walk away. You may feel obligated to stand and face “the enemy” but you need to just leave. Say no and walk away while saying it.
What are the 4 steps of refusal?
Terms in this set (4)
- Say no. …
- Tell why. …
- Offer another idea. …
- Promptly leave. …
What are refusal techniques?
Refusal skills are ways to say no when someone is pressuring you to do something you don’t want to do. They can help you avoid the pitfalls of drugs. To develop effective refusal skills, you need to know why you personally don’t want to use drugs.
What is a refusal strategy?
Refusal skills are a set of skills designed to help children avoid participating in high-risk behaviors. Programs designed to discourage crime, drug use, violence, and/or sexual activity frequently include refusal skills in their curricula to help students resist peer pressure while maintaining self-respect.